Friday, 02 August 2019 Posted under Pregnancy
14 Top Reasons why you should take Lactation Advice before delivery
Breastfeeding is one of the most gratifying experiences that a mother goes through in her life. Every mom deserves to enjoy and cherish these moments with her little one. Sometimes obstacles do hinder this process. Breast feeding consultation pre delivery is the surest way a mom can prepare herself physically and mentally for the months to come and is able to take informed decisions regarding breastfeeding and lactation.
- Creates awareness about the benefits of breastfeeding: The benefits of breastfeeding are innumerable. It is the best possible food for the baby, it benefits the mother and also benefits the environment in several ways.
- Breast feeding education beforehand helps mothers make their own choices regarding when and how to feed the baby: Indian society provides a new mom with a lot of luxury in terms of family support, but a lot of pressure as well. Breast feeding is the mother’s decision alone and she should not take any kind of added familial or societal pressure in making any decisions around it.
- Gives the mom a chance to plan the journey ahead: As per WHO standards, a child needs to be exclusively breastfed till the age of 6 months, after which solids are to be introduced along with continued breastfeeding for atleast up to 2 years of age. This is a long journey, and a successful start really does help in building the foundation to a smooth breastfeeding and lactation journey. It also gives the mother time to mentally prepare herself and make the necessary preparations required in advance.
- Gives time to plan and purchase equipment to ease the process: Several products are available in the market to ease the process and journey of breastfeeding for the mother and child. The mother can speak to friends and family members to borrow as well as purchase products such as feeding pillows, nursing bras, nursing pads, nursing covers, front open loose garments, etc.
- How to recognize and manage hunger cues: Every baby is different and has his/her own way of communicating. Sometimes mothers get agitated as they don’t understand what the baby needs at that moment. An insight to recognizing and observing the signals which babies commonly exhibit really tends to ease the stress of a new mom.
- You get tips and tricks to manage the baby better: A tweak in regular practices here and there can make a world of difference. One gets insights on how to manage cranky babies, schedule feeds better and inculcate healthy sleeping practices.